Keeping dry is a huge part of keeping warm in the winter. After time the waterproofing of your jacket and snow pants can wear down from use and washing but adding an application of waterproofing can help to keep your gear function great and lasting longer. Below we’ll take a look at some awesome examples and give our choice for the best waterproofing spray for jackets.
What You Need to Know
If you’ve started to notice that your jacket has started to absorb and not repel moisture when you’re outside then it might be time to think about adding a waterproofing spray. Reapplying waterproofing is actually pretty straightforward, clean your gear, reapply and you’re done.
Before you add your waterproofing spray you should wash your jacket first. Keep in mind that technical gear requires special wash and shouldn’t be run through with your regular detergent or with fabric softener. Dirt and other debris can hinder the breathable membrane found in waterproof jackets, in turn making it difficult to retreat the waterproofing.
Our choice out here is Nikwax, they have a lot of different treatment options and work with some of the biggest names in the outdoor industry to help improve their products. Nikwax has played a large roll in the development of hydrophobic down, a treatment that makes down feathers actually repel moisture.
Breathable waterproof garments get sweaty and if used for long periods outside in damp or wet conditions can absorb moisture. Once a jacket starts to absorb water it can loose up to 70% of its breathability, a huge part of keeping your comfortable. Nikwax’s Tech Wash can revitalize the waterproofing, breathability and durability of your jacket.
After your jacket comes out of the wash follow the garment care instructions on how to dry it, some may be air dry and others may allow for tumbling dry.
Next, hang your jacket on a clothes line or lay flat with the zipper shut and any flaps closed and follow the steps below:
- Hold bottle 15 cm/6 inches away from garment and apply evenly all over the jacket
- Wait for 2 minutes while the waterproofing absorbs
- Remove any extra with a damp towel
- Check over the jacket to make sure that no spot were missed
- For high friction areas (shoulders, elbows) a second application can be necessary
Best Waterproofing Spray for Jackets
Nikwax TX.Direct Spray-On
Finding it’s way onto our #1 spot for the best waterproofing spray for jackets is Nikwax’s TX.Direct. This is a great option for a spray on waterproofing and it’s suitable for Gore-Tex, Ultrex, Entrant, eVENT and Triple Point fabrics. The 10 oz size is suitable for around 5 or 6 pieces of gear depending on how big they are and for $11 it’s a pretty sweet deal.
We’ve used Nikwax quite a bit when we wash our gear and we’ve never felt the need to try something else, quite simply because it works so well and it’s easy to use. After a good wash and reapplication of waterproofing our jackets come out looking good and performing like they did on day 1.
- Patented formula remains the waterproofing standard in the market
- Restores the durable water-repellent (DWR) finish to all waterproof/breathable jackets
- Spray-On option is great for almost all jackets with knitted or wicking linings
- Spray head included
- Suitable for Gore-Tex, Ultrex, Entrant, eVENT and Triple Point
Best Waterproofing Spray for Jackets – Runner Up
Granger’s Xtreme Repel
Next up on our list of the best waterproofing spray for jackets is Granger’s Xtreme Repel. Suitable for all types of technical wear, Granger’s Xtreme Repel is made to restore the factory water repellent features that your jacket first had. Like Nikwax above it’s recommended that you apply Xtreme Repel to a clean jacket and like above Granger’s offers a tech wash for your technical outer wear.
The one thing that we didn’t love is that heat activation is required for the waterproofing to activate. This is because it uses fluorocarbon chemicals, something that isn’t exactly going to win any environmental awards. That being said, however, Xtreme Repel works really well at treating older garments in need of some love. If your gear can’t go in a dryer then you can activate the spray with a hairdryer.
Xtreme Repel Highlights
- Specially formulated to restore the water-repellent finish found on outdoor clothing
- Our most effective waterproofing product
- Best when applied to a clean, damp garment
- Requires heat activation for best results
- Suitable for use on all Gore-Tex and eVent garments
Best Waterproofing Spray for Jackets – Honorable Mention
Gear Aid ReviveX Instant Waterproofing Spray
The final entry on our list of the best waterproofing spray for jackets is the ReviveX from Gear Aid. A fast and easy application for your gear, ReviveX is a solid choice. We really like that it was an aerosol application for ease of use and the ingredients don’t use and of the harsh chemicals that others do.
- All-purpose waterproofing for all types of gear
- Silicone free formula is safe for all technical fabric types
- Instant finish repels water, oil,and stain
- Clear, non sticky finish
- Silicone free formula is safe for all fabrics including leather and GORE-TEX
- CFC free formula is better for the environment and dries clear with no sticky residue
- Made in the U.S.A.
Well there you have it, 3 great choices for the next time you find yourself needing to re-up your waterproofing. Nikwax made the #1 spot on our list of the best waterproofing for jackets because it flat out works and we’ve put it through the wringer.
Waterproofing your jackets after they’ve seen a season of use will keep them performing good, keeping you dry and comfortable when you’re out on your next adventure.
See you out there!